温度感觉: 12°
楼主: 弄舟
打印 上一主题 下一主题

[原创]揭开CAS的面纱

121#
发表于 2006-12-27 11:00:37 | 只看该作者
最初由[蔡教练]发布

很有道理。非常感谢!

私有制的社会,本质上来看,是只重利益,不讲正义公平,不求真理。抓住老鼠就是好猫。赚钱越多越好,不管合理不合理,不管人道不人道。政府雇员捞钱是如此,私营企业牟利也如此。

罪犯也如此,要争取最大利益,一般的有罪也都不认罪。美国律师被公认是最坏的人。惟利是图,不择手段。西方思维就是如此。加拿大思维也如此。私有制的生活方式就是这样。

蔡教练, I think for the very first time, I agree with you.  What you said is exactly how I feel in Canada.  Even non profit organizations run like a business.  The moment an employee cannot meet their needs, he/she will be let go.  The termination process is very much like that in a private company.

I don't trust anyone here, including my banker, real estate agent, life insurance agent or even family doctor.

Too bad, our country doesn't allow dual citizenship, so I can't return except as a visitor with a visiting visa.

I have to live in Canada, so have learned their rules of the game to survive.
122#
发表于 2006-12-28 01:37:05 | 只看该作者

Thank you, Peelboy!

This is really a good topic and nice debate!

I'm not sure Peelboy's name comes from the Peel region or not, but it doesn't matter.

What I'd like to say here is we need the guy like Peelboy who tries to explain the CAS to the people here. Even though he got wrong understanding of "冤妇", he sometimes responded emotionally and he might not be willing to acknowage the problems of the CAS, I still appreciate Peelboy's efforts and time to provide us all the information.

I expect more detailed information from Peelboy about how to take care of our children in Canada, how to deal with CAS social worker, how to complain, how to sue CAS etc. topics.

Thanks a bundle, Peelboy!
123#
发表于 2006-12-28 14:17:36 | 只看该作者

Chinese Families and CAS

There are 2 outstanding tasks to wrap up my "commitment".  The first is to talk about Chinese families in CAS and the second is my assessment of CAS problems.

You can take exception of my perspectives, but please do not attack me verbally.

There are 53 CAS in Ontario.  Most of them are very small multi-service agencies up North (covering child mental health as well), but urban CAS in GTA, Hamilton, London and Ottawa probably accounts for one third of the cases.  All CAS operate as independent entities, with a common theme of same legislation, Ontario Risk Assessment Model and Ministry regulations.  So, practice is quite consistent.

Only the Ministry has aggregate data; I have access to data of my agency only.  The observation is based on my experience and statistics on straight line projection.  Data is accurate within a range, but I am confident my observation fairly describes Chinese families in CAS.

Depending how you define Chinese, people with Chinese background (Mainland, Taiwan and Hong Kong) accounts for 8% of the Ontario population and Chinese immigrants for 5%.  Chinese immigrant represents 1% of CAS clients, i.e. about 20% of the general public, way below the average.  Does it mean Chinese community is doing well?  It may, but my observation is the Chinese community is a "closed" community, in a relative sense.  Majority of child abuse cases (based on Canadian definition, not Chinese) have not been reported to CAS.

The scary part is Crown Wards (custody awarded to the province for good) with Chinese immigrant background represents about 4%, i.e. 4 times the chance of a non-Chinese kid who needs long term care by CAS.  In other words, our Chinese parents fail to fight the court cases with CAS, comparing with the counterparts of other communities.

Is it racism?  I don't know.  Even if there is racism, Canadians have learned it the smart way that they, unlike us, never use any racist comments in public speaking or file record.  We can never prove the case, though aggregate numbers say it otherwise.

Let me toss in my theory.

Do Chinese parents abuse?  Yes, definitely just like all parents from all communities.  China abuse, defined as abuse or misuse of authority or power by the caregiver including parents, teachers, police, doctors, and etc, happens everywhere.  Please don't tell me Chinese parents don't abuse.  Perhaps, they don't based on Chinese standards, but in Canada you must abide by the local laws and rules, regardless you like them or not.

Despite the low 1%, Chinese cases have one thing in common: the abuse is severe, and family problem(s) un-fixable.  Child abuse is a sign or sympton of family problem.  I have never seen in my career an abuse without a family problem.  Of course, family problems happens in every family.  Does it mean CAS can take away all children.  It depends on the cut off point to maintain the balance of child protection and family preservation, which I will talk about in future posts.

No one with common sense can image how severe these parents have abused their own children.  Their family problems cannot be treated, because Chinese families do not have a traditional of seeking external intervention.  

The Child and Family Services Act allows CAS to work with the parents for 2 years or 1 year for those under 6 towards family reunion, but families belonging to this category probably will never fix their problems.  

These problems include mental health, physical abuse, sexual abuse (usually by a step father but the mother denies it for family preservation.  Yes, it happens in our community), home alone, parent teen conflict and abandonment of children with special needs.

2 types of cases I would like to mention: child abandonment and parent-teen.  Chinese parents have a higher statistical tendency of abandoning their children born with "defect" or special needs to CAS, because "they have to work and have no time to take care of such a baby".  For parent-teen conflict, what would you do if your 15 year old daughter tells you she is dating and is sexually active?  Punish her with a stick?  Or, lock her up with a chain?  If they work, life will be easy.

Are these parent small in population?  In my experience, more than what you and I would like to see.
124#
发表于 2006-12-28 15:03:56 | 只看该作者

Chinese Families and CAS Part 2

The second category of Chinese cases in CAS is the majority and is persistently related to one problem only: physical discipline.

We use a stick to hit our kids if they don't play piano well and we spent thousand of dollars on a piano.  

We use a stick to hit our kids if they are interested in French, music and history at school and would like to study Moden Languages in university but we would like them to become an engineer.  

We use a stick to hit our kids if .....................

This is a typical scenario of cultural clash between the East and the West.  We believe that's not a big deal.  The child will recover from the physical injury, the bruises and the marks, but Canadians have different standards.  That's their fault, but ours.

When Police and CAS show at their door according to the Protocol of Joint Investigation, we feel our parental authority is challenged and who are they to tell me how to raise my kids since they are part of my "properties".  We become angry and won't listen to anything they say.  In North America, dealing with police is an art.  If you don't do well, they will put you on the floor or pull their guns on you, no kidding.  Chinese parents will become hysterical, yelling and screaming all the way through the investigation.  The investigators will interpret the behaviour as signs and symptoms of a mental illness. (That's why I spent energy writing a few long posts how to handle CAS at your door to avoid the misunderstanding.).

After the investigation, both police and the CAS investigation worker have left, and there came the Family Service Worker.  A FSW is responsible for mobilizing resources to assist us and for, as the other hat, fighting on behalf of CAS the court case.  We can find the first 2 officers any more and project our anger on the FSW.

Every time a child is removed from the parents, the FSW must take the case to court within 5 days.  The judge will rule whether there is sufficient protection grounds for CAS to protect the child.  If no, the judge will order the child to return, with court cost paid by CAS.

The major problem for Chinese parents is we (except a limited number of those from Hong Kong ) never live our life in a common law country, so common law process is very foreign to us.  A family problem, and so is child abuse, won't happen overnight, and resolution won't go away overnight either.

In common law, court cases are to be resolved by consensus.  All legal parties engage in a conversation to formulate agreed facts.  Facts, in common law, are not physics laws, but are facts or information agreed upon by all legal parties.  Overwhelmed by anger and emotion, we accuse CAS of grabbing our kids for funding and swear Canadian values and standards.  We never reflect if there is anything we do not do right or if there are other alternatives to manage the family problems.  We call families and friends to gather together at court and we scream at the FSW.  We are lucky if we do not get restrained by the court police and then charged with Mischief in the Public.

We go to the media, despite there is a court case.  In common law countries, judiciary independence is the top priority.  No media, MPP or anybody can intervene with a court hearing.  Instead, media exposure will catch the attention of the senior executive of CAS.  Just like all other government and non-government organizations, they kick in the risk management system and assign the most knowledgeable and experienced management staff to regulate the case to protect the public image.  The legal battle drags on.  If our Chinese parents cannot stand the stress, we can't function normally and our children become a Crown Ward. The last 2 sentences probably will draw fires from 51er, but my point is the event has happened, we should first of all manage our emotions first.  It is easy to scapegoat others, but who is going to suffer.  Us, not them.

A typical physical discipline case like this should be handled like this:

1. Reflect why we hit and if there are any family problems we have to address to.

2. Get help from professionals to manage our emotions, "comb" the problems we have and target at change.  if we don't change, our problems will persist, with or without our kids.  (Child abuse is a reflection of social/familial ills.)

3. We may have been charged by police under Criminal Code.  If so, there is an automatic no contact order.  CAS does not want to admit some of the children, but if there is a no contact order and the parents do not have relatives to help (the usual case in Chinese community), CAS has no option but placing the child in care.  The no contact order is the biggest barrier for family reunion.  We must seek an opportunity to remove this bail order, unless our child will never return.

4. We argue a court case with evidence.  While CAS has the doctor's report of injury, we can't go to court to tell the judge how great we are and it is safe for our kids to return.  This is lip service, not real.  We should seek child management service and anger management course and ask the counselors to produce reports as evidence.  The same report can be used to remove the bail condition.

5.  We can argue it is in the child's best interest to live with the parents, which is true.  Before the findings, there is only one rule: SAFETY.  We build our case around safety.  If violence against women is the protection reason, we go for marriage counselling.  If we do drugs or drink, we go for a treatment program.  If we believe we don't do anything wrong, then do nothing.  CAS may grab our kids for money but the judge has not fallen asleep.  The legal system may be the last piece of "firewall" to make Canada safe and beautiful.  If we no longer trust the legal system, it is time for us to move on.

It is not my role to judge the Canadian legal and social infra-structure on one hand, or the traditional Chinese beliefs and values, on the other.  I have learned it in my life and my career in Canada, law affects every aspect of our life, including legal intervention in family matters.

We can disagree with them and advocate to change the legal and social infra-structure.  Before that happens, please abide by the rules and play smart.  

Learn the common law process, we will see the benefits forever.
125#
发表于 2006-12-28 15:41:04 | 只看该作者

Problem 1: Deficit Based

I am going to talk about the issues with Ontario child welfare.  For sure, this will catch "attacks" of all sorts.

Shall we kill the bus driver?  Every now and then, we find, after a bus accident back home, the bus driver is beaten by family members of the victims or simply the mob from the area.  Is it the bus driver's fault?  He might have been speeding.  Why did he do it?

CAS is the operation of child welfare; the social worker is like the bus driver.  When an incident happens, shall we "kill" the social worker?  I don't have an answer.

CAS is part of child welfare; other components include the law court, the Ministries, the social work faculties in universities, other community organization, school boards and alot other stakeholders.  CAS runs the bus but the bus is provided by others.

The number 1 issue in Ontario child welfare is "deficit based" practice.  I use Ontario child welfare as a system and CAS is the operational parts (third time in 3 paragraphs, hope that's clear).

Deficient based means "who made the mistake", an overwhelming them in child welfare from top to bottom, which has become a persistent culture harmful and hurtful to the community.  

From top first, the Ministries (more than 1) provide funding and monitoring framework (I will talk about than in subsequent posts).  No matter how smooth CAS is or how many children CAS has protected, the Ministries will point the finger toward CAS if a child has died or injured and the incident hit the media.  The file will be sent to the Regional Office for "forensic study", and if there is anything less than desirable, someone will be punished.  That's ok.  CAS in fact operates very similar to a business organization, under business principles.  CAS accepts the funding, so has the obligation to meet the demand.

However, the government's attitude is "no kids will die", or "if they die, make sure the media doesn't know".  This is just common sense we don't anticipate crime free with police or fire free with fire department.  CAS is expected to be tragedy free.

This is the culture in CAS, and this culture gets filtered down.

CAS assigned the most capable and experienced management staff to deal with risk management (complaint, serious incidents and child death) to protect the agency. Finger pointing is very common.  This senior executive will "grill" the supervisor and the supervisor will "grill" the worker.  The ultimate goal is to find out whose fault it is.  Whoever makes the mistake will be terminated.  We should not kill the bus driver, but in every incident, we do kill them even though it is not the driver's fault, to pacify the mob.

The culture affects the clients.  It is not surprising to find a CAS worker has 2 or 3 universitiy degrees and professional qualifications.  The job security is in jeopardy with or without a mistake.  Human services rely on judgement.  Everyone makes mistakes, but when the worker has a family to raise and obligation to put food on the table, she does not want to take risk.  The minimum risk is to grab a child at risk and then not to discharge the child unless the parents are like perfect angels.  I have seen social workers wanting to lose court cases, because if the judge orders the child to return and then the child dies or is re-injured, it is not the worker's fault

CAS tries to provide a safe environment to the clients, but the staff there are not safe.

The Ministry is providing us a new "bus", Strength based Child Welfare Transformation.  Will it fix the problem?  Let's wait and see.  I don't know how to fix the issue, and if I do, I will be making way more than 150K.
126#
 楼主| 发表于 2006-12-28 22:25:10 | 只看该作者
Thanks PeelBoy. Expecting more.
127#
发表于 2007-1-7 10:17:45 | 只看该作者
An excellent and very valuable website about CAS

http://cas911.narod.ru/
128#
发表于 2007-1-8 14:16:40 | 只看该作者
最初由[GongYiZhiSheng]发布
An excellent and very valuable website about CAS

http://cas911.narod.ru/